The scorching sun of summer will have you worried. Hence, prepare for sweating in the heat. Everybody remembers their childhood best family summer holiday destinations during this time. Many of us recall visiting our grandparents during the summer holidays. Nevertheless, the kids of today want to visit a new place on their vacation. So when it comes to the best summer vacation spots, everybody plans to visit India’s hill stations like Shimla, Manali, Rishikesh, etc. however, it can get a little crowded with almost every family rushing off to the same summer vacation places in India. Do something different this year instead of your usual Shimla and Darjeeling visits. Explore unexplored terrains during your summer vacations by choosing offbeat vacation destinations. So here are some offbeat best family summer holiday destinations in India.
Offbeat Summer Vaction Spots in India
It is a blessing that India is so geographically and culturally diverse. There are a variety of places to visit in every season. These places aren’t limited to regular tourist destinations; you can also go to offbeat locations. Take a look at these absolutely refreshing offbeat summer vacation spots ideas for families in 2022:
Bhandardara, Maharashtra – Lush Greenery
It’s a charming hill station located on the banks of the Pravara River and nestled among the Sahayadri ranges, so Bhandardara is ideal for summer vacations. It’s just 185 km from Mumbai, making it a perfect getaway from the city for a weekend getaway. Long walks through lush green fields, waterfalls, and scenic views make it an ideal weekend getaway. Additionally, you can have some amazing experiences here which include:
- Visit Umbrella Falls and Randha Falls for a picnic.
- Get a breathtaking view from Mount Kalsubai, the highest peak in the Sahyadri region.
- Enjoy a morning of fishing and boating on Arthur Lake.
- Experience the 200-year-old Ratnagad and Harishchandragad forts.
Coonoor, Tamil Nadu – Southern Hills
This is one of the best family summer holiday destinations. Coonoor is a charming and quiet hill station surrounded by mist-covered Nilgiri hills and bright green tea estates. About 18 km from Ooty, Coonoor is home to a variety of wildflowers around almost every corner of the hill station at an altitude of about 6,000 feet. A summer vacation in Coonoor is a perfect combination of fun and relaxation for the whole family. What you can experience here is:
- Sim’s Park has more than 1000 kinds of plants.
- Experience Highfield Tea Estate’s tea-making process.
- Visit Lamb’s Rock, where you can see tea and coffee plantations.
- Take a trip to the enchanting Catherine Falls.
- From Ooty to Coonoor, ride the heritage train.
Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh – Mystical Beauty
With its beautiful valleys, misty rivers, and stunning waterfalls, Tawang makes for a memorable family trip. An adventurous family vacation in May to this place is probably among the best in India. Additionally, to being one of the highest places in the world, Tawang is also among the most difficult places to reach. There isn’t much public transportation in the town, so one should have a car. What you can experience here is:
- Experience the mesmerizing 400-year-old Tawang monastery.
- Swim or picnic at the lovely Bap Teng Kang waterfalls.
- Relax next to the serene Pankang Teng Tso Lake.
- Take a trip to Sela Pass and Paradise Lake.
- Also, families can try rafting on the Brahmaputra.
Pelling, Sikkim – Breathtaking Landscapes
Pelling is a wonderful summer vacation destination for Indian families, nestled in the grand Himalayas. There is nothing more amazing than seeing the Kanchenjunga Range at dawn with your loved ones. Alternatively, what you can experience more here is:
- Discover Sewaro Rock Garden, Sangay Waterfalls, and Kanchenjunga waterfalls
- Visit the ruins of Rabadantse, Sikkim’s 16th-century capital
- Explore Buddhist monasteries such as Pemayangtse, Sanga Choeling, Darap Eco Village, and Sing Shore Bridge, one of the world’s highest bridges.
Chopta, Uttarakhand – Stunning Summer Vacation Spots
Chopta offers splendid views of the Nanda Devi Mountain range, as well as the enchanting Rhododendron blossoms, making it an attractive destination for a relaxing vacation. Generally, Chopta offers marvelous views of snow-covered mountain ranges, making it an ideal easy to moderate hike. What you can experience her is:
- Relax in the scenic meadows near Tungnath with a picnic.
- This Alaskan sanctuary is home to Kanchula Korak Musk Deer.
- From Chandrashila, you can see snow-covered peaks Kedar, Nanda Devi, Chaukhamba, and Trishul.
- See the Chaukhamba peaks reflected in the waters of the serene Deori Tal.
Pachmarhi, Madhya Pradesh
Pachmarhi is one of the most scenic and raw regions of the country. This is one of the best family summer holiday destinations, located in Madhya Pradesh. It is famous for its waterfalls that create a soothing landscape. Satpura ki Rani is the name of this mesmerizing hill station. The major wildlife attractions in Pachmarhi are leopards and Indian bison. Additionally, what more you can experience here is:
- Take a tour of all the waterfalls, including Apsara Vihar, Silver Fall, and Bee Fall
- Visit Satpura National Park for a wildlife excursion
- Visit the ancient Pandav Caves
Theog in Himachal Pradesh is a popular offbeat summer destination in India. This is one of the best places to visit in summer in India with your family if you are looking for views of the Himalayas, hill stations, and time spent in the lap of nature. Since this is an offbeat destination, there won’t be a lot of people to ruin your vacation. This weekend getaway is also one of the most popular camping sites among travelers. You can explore the underrated beauty of this beautiful place which happens to be one of the many off-beat summer vacation spots in India for families. Apart from it, what more you can experience here is:
- Enjoy the local cuisine
- Village exploration
The number of hill stations, valleys, and forest trails throughout the country makes it impossible to predict which will be the best summer vacation spots for your upcoming trip. Make plans to visit India with your loved ones and don’t forget to pack a few extra clothes in case you decide to change your mind! Here is a list of some of the best family summer holiday destinations. So visit these places, write to us and share with us your favorite offbeat destinations for an offbeat summer.
Show Comments (2)
Amazing places to travel in India! I wish I could have read this article before, so we could have planned a family trip to one of these places in the summer. Keep sharing such beautiful tourist destinations!
Thanks Manoj for motivating us.
I requested to you please enable push notification and subscribe our newsletter.